The New York Times apparently just discovered that QVC sells cosmetics, and the paper’s Thursday Style section did a story on this news-making development, headlined “Telling Stories, Selling Beauty,”
Much of the article focused on QVC beauty vendor and unspeakably bubbly Mally Roncal, she of the lion-like mane of gorgeous hair. The Times described her as “all flouncy hair and eyelashes.”
We swear by her mascara, by the way.
The reporter was at QVC’s headquarters in PA to see Mally and host Albany Irvin pitch Mally’s makeup line. QVC tells us that Mally does makeup for celebs, but never names who they are. The Times does. Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez are among Mally’s clients.
Here are some things The Times tells us about QVC’s beauty business:
1. Mally Beauty, based in Baltimore, has sold more than 7 million units.
2. Beauty accounts for 16 percent of QVC’s business, an increase from 9 percent in 2003.
3. QVC has sold $5 billion in beauty products around the world since 2009.
4. QVC’s customers are 83 percent female.
5. QVC’s Top 5 beauty vendors are Philosophy, Mally Beauty, WEN Hair Care, Bare Escentuals and Perricone MD.
6. QVC constructed a new set for beauty shows.
HSN got a brief plug in the story, for selling cosmetics from Urban Decay and fragrances from stars such as Mary J. Blige.